MICRONEEDLING (SKIN PEN)
At Knott Street, we now offer SkinPen treatments as it is the first microneedling device cleared by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, clinically proven to safely and effectively treat facial acne scars.
Microneedling can also be used to treat fine lines and improve skin’s texture, tone and pigment. During this treatment, tiny needles are utilized to create micro-injuries or channels into the skin in order to produce collagen and elastin. The skin’s repair process results in a thicker dermis, improved fine lines and wrinkles, and overall skin texture. This treatment can be paired with PRP to further enhance results.
What you need to know about Skinpen Microneedling:
- Safe for all skin types and skin tones
- Recommended for those with acne scars, surgical scars, moderate-severe wrinkles
- Effective in reducing skin texture, fine lines, wrinkles, and scars
- Side effects are temporary and may include skin redness, swelling, and flaking
- It can be performed on all body parts aside from the face and neck
- It is safe and FDA-approved with the performance of skilled professionals who can apply the proper techniques for a safe and minimally invasive treatment
How to Prepare for the Treatment:
- Hydrate, Hydrate, Hydrate. Drink at least 60 oz of water daily starting at least two days before the treatment.
- Discontinue blood thinning agents such as vitamin E, vitamin A, ginkgo, garlic, flax, cold liver oil, & fish oil.
- Avoid aspirin, Advil, Motrin, Ibuprofen, Naproxen, Voltaren and other anti-inflammatory medications 7 days prior to procedure. Please consult a physician if you are taking these medications for a medical condition before discontinuing. We want inflammation to occur-as this is one of the mechanism by which PRP works.
- Avoid excessive sun exposure prior and after treatment.
- Avoid topical products such as Tretinoin (retin-A), Retinols, Retinoids, Glycolic Acid, Salicylic acid, or other anti-aging or “bleaching” products 5 days in advance.
Additional Treats to Add to Microneedling:
PRP (Platelet Rich Plasma) can be added to your mironeedling treatment. PRP can improve healing, provides growth factors that further encourage collagen stimulation, and is all natural.
Products Post Microneedling we recommend:
BEFORE & AFTER
Checkout our before and after gallery where we feature a few our recent patients.
ARE RIGHT FOR YOU?
Our team is made up of experienced professionals
excited to help and provide personalized care just for you.
Alicia McCarthy, ND
Dr. Alicia McCarthy earned her Bachelor of Science in Kinesiology degree from California State University of Fullerton in 2008 and her Naturopathic Medical degree in 2017 from National University of Natural Medicine in Portland, OR. The twelve years Dr. McCarthy spent working in emergency medicine as an EMT set the foundation for the provider she is today. She now specializes in aesthetic medicine, dedicating her continuing education and practice to staying current on the latest techniques and products. Dr. McCarthy believes in aging gracefully. She takes the time to sit down with each patient and find out what this means for them.
Prior to joining Knott Street Dermatology, Dr. McCarthy had her own practice in Lake Oswego focused on aesthetic medicine, hormone balancing, thyroid conditions, and IV medicine.
Originally from Southern California, Dr. McCarthy has lived in Portland for the last eleven years. When she is not working Dr. McCarthy stays busy with her two young kids, husky pup, and husband. They enjoy spending time outside, camping, swimming, and playing at the park.
Rachel Almada LE,CAE
Rachael graduated from the Aesthetics Institute in 2020 and recently acquired a Bachelor of Arts from Portland State University. Coming from a dermatology background, Rachael has a passion for skin health and sun protection. Her favorite part about being an Advanced Aesthetician is helping patients reach their skin goals and watching their confidence build because of it. She understands that everyone’s skin requires its own unique approach whether it’s a treatment plan or a skincare regimen.
When she is out of the office, Rachael enjoys traveling, trying new food, making art, and doing pretty much anything outdoors – especially if it includes her Doberman-mix pup, Rubio!
If you have any questions, concerns, or would like to schedule an appointment please let us know.
Our patients’ feedback is vital in our improvement. Please take a minute to leave us a review and let us know how your experience has been at Knott Street Dermatology.