Please fill out this form and we will contact you to schedule your consultation for a SCITON® HALO™ or other aesthetic procedure.
WHAT IS Chemical Peels
Superficial chemical peels can address a variety of skin concerns. They can reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, help clear acne, and minimize acne scarring, and improve the appearance of rough skin texture. Chemical peels can even help to lighten the effects of sun damage, by fading pigmentation and melasma. Chemical peels are a popular add-on treatment for Dermaplaning since they can help improve skin texture and tone while unveiling clearer, more radiant, and younger-looking skin.
Our aesthetician Olivia Gill LE, CAE has performed hundreds of chemical peels on happy patients. Our team is extensively trained in physician-grade superficial peels, and this level of expertise drastically reduces any risk of complications. Knott Street Dermatology offers a variety of peels for every type of skin, and our aesthetician carefully controls the layers and depths of each peel to ensure the treatment is personalized just for you. During your complimentary consultation, we’ll work with you to choose the best chemical peel for your goals.
Chemical peels can be used to treat a variety of skin conditions, including aging skin, dull skin, fine lines, hyperpigmentation, sun-damaged skin, and wrinkles.
- Smoother skin texture
- Brightening effect
- Oil control
- Acne clearance/ prevention
- Lightens pigmentation
Peels we Offer:
How to prepare for treatment:
- Prior to your treatment stop the use of alpha or beta hydroxy acids, retinol, benzoyl peroxide or products at least 1 week prior to your treatment; and stop Retin A (Retinol, Tazorac, Tretinoin)
- One week before your peel, avoid electrolysis, waxing, depilatory creams, laser hair removal.
- Avoid sun exposure or tanning one week prior to treatment. A broad spectrum, minimum SPF 30 sunscreen is mandatory and must be reapplied every 2 hours
- Come with a clean face
- Chemical peels aren’t recommended for those nursing or pregnant, if you have certain types of skin conditions (active eczema, psoriasis, rosacea, or dermatitis), have a compromised immune system, are planning to be in direct sunlight right after your treatment, are tan or have a recent sunburn, or if you’ve taken Accutane in the past 12–18 months.
- When the peel is applied you can expect a slight tingling sensation and heat, as the peel increased you may feel more stinging and itchiness
What to do and expect after treatment:
After your appointment, your skin may look shiny and feel tight. It’s critical to avoid direct sunlight for 10 days after your treatments. Peeling usually starts 2–3 days after the treatment and can last for 5-7 days. If you opted for a stronger peel, the peeling will be more visible, and you should plan for a week of downtime. Results for peels will begin to show once the skin has shed.
Post Treatment Instructions:
- Avoid direct sun exposure for minimum 10 days
- Use a broad spectrum, minimum SPF 30 sunscreen for at least 2 weeks after treatment.
- Avoid facial waxing/hair removal, facial treatments for 14 days
- Avoid exercise or getting overheated for 24 hours
- Mild flaking will begin in a few days and last up to a week. DO NOT PICK AT SKIN
- Do not use exfoliating products for 5 days.
- Increase water intake to include at least eight 8-oz glasses per day
- Do not use wash cloths or any other materials on the treated skin. Apply cleansers directly on clean hands for application.
Illuminize/Vitalize/Rejuvanize post peel:
- Retinoic acid was used as part of your treatment, your skin will have a light-yellow tinge immediately after the procedure. This is temporary and will fade in 1 to 2 hours.
- The peel continues to work for 5 hours post procedure. Do not apply any additional products, pressure to your skin, and do not wash for 4-6 hours post procedure.
Treatments That Pair Well With a Chemical Peel:
- Dermaplaning add on to exfoliate the skin while removing the outer, dead layers of skin
- Microneedling, or Collagen Induction Therapy, by stimulating your body’s organic ability to produce collagen.
- Broad Band Light (BBL) therapy is another great addition to a chemical peel. BBL uses pulses of light to remove unwanted pigmentation.
A dermaplaning-peel starts with a dermaplaning treatment, which removes vellus hair or “peach fuzz” from the face. Dermaplaning also exfoliates the skin at the same time and opting for it before a superficial chemical peel helps the peel better penetrate the skin for optimal results.
BEFORE & AFTER
Checkout our before and after gallery where we feature a few our recent patients.
ARE RIGHT FOR YOU?
Our team is made up of experienced professionals
excited to help and provide personalized care just for you.
Alicia McCarthy, ND
Dr. Alicia McCarthy earned her Bachelor of Science in Kinesiology degree from California State University of Fullerton in 2008 and her Naturopathic Medical degree in 2017 from National University of Natural Medicine in Portland, OR. The twelve years Dr. McCarthy spent working in emergency medicine as an EMT set the foundation for the provider she is today. She now specializes in aesthetic medicine, dedicating her continuing education and practice to staying current on the latest techniques and products. Dr. McCarthy believes in aging gracefully. She takes the time to sit down with each patient and find out what this means for them.
Prior to joining Knott Street Dermatology, Dr. McCarthy had her own practice in Lake Oswego focused on aesthetic medicine, hormone balancing, thyroid conditions, and IV medicine.
Originally from Southern California, Dr. McCarthy has lived in Portland for the last eleven years. When she is not working Dr. McCarthy stays busy with her two young kids, husky pup, and husband. They enjoy spending time outside, camping, swimming, and playing at the park.
Olivia Gill LE,CAE
Olivia graduated from Spectrum Advanced Aesthetics in 2015 and has been working full time as a Certified Advanced Esthetician and Laser Safety Officer for the last 6 years. Olivia’s favorite part about her job is helping her patients feel more confident in their own skin. She takes pride in tailoring each skin care regimen and treatment plan to fit everyone’s lifestyle and budget. When she’s not pampering patients, she enjoys camping, traveling, and quality time spent with her family, husband, and Corgi puppy- Ginger!
If you have any questions, concerns, or would like to schedule an appointment please let us know.